Tuesday 13 March 2012

An Angel is born



Today I lost a friend, not any friend, but a best friend in the true sense of the word.  A friend who doesn’t invite you into her home, because you can let yourself in, a friend who doesn’t offer you a drink when you visit, because you know where the kettle is and a friend who doesn’t offer you the spare room when you’re drunk, because her mattress is more comfortable. 

`Cancer is a horrible thing’ I used to say, and it is, but you never know quite how horrible until it consumes someone who you have taken into your heart without conditions, someone who, if you are not related to by blood, you can still call a sister.  Not until you see someone so undeserving of such a horrible disease, do you realise the true hideousness and unfairness of Cancer, how random and scrupulous it is and how it does not discriminate between kind, loving, gentle people and those of more immoral and depraved dispositions.

My friend was a gentle person, calm and funny who believed she was protected by angels, she probably was, she touched the hearts of anyone who came into contact with her.  She will be missed by so many, though I know they will all be as glad as I, to have been lucky enough to have had her in their lives, even if it was for the shortest of times.

Though sadness, anger and melancholy set in for those who knew her, other friends have grown out of this tragedy, friends that know how special she was, friends who grew up with her and knew her as a real sister and as an aunty and Mum.  These friends will be special too, and they will be forever.  Maybe I have not lost a special friend after all, maybe she has been made an angel, after all it is the least they could do!  She has left behind a special bond between people who might never otherwise have met, who will remember together the wonderful lady they love so much.

Thank you for letting me know you!


2 comments:

  1. I had/have a friend like this Zo, her name is Suzanne she moved to a place she called 'the real world' in 2005, I miss her every day. She is one of those rare women we call a confidante, a trusted friend, a soulmate, I loved her very much and I often wonder if there will ever be another friend like her, or even another women in whom I hold such high esteem.... but then I remembered... I do. You.

    My niece yes, but still my friend, still a woman in whom I hold in such esteem, someone I respect.

    You are not alone sweet girl
    C xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have just made me cry again for the third time this week. You too are a friend and a wonderful person whom I miss constantly. Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete